Renal Arterial Duplex Scan
The renal arterial duplex scan is an ultrasound test. This test allows us to see the aorta and renal arteries that run through the abdominal area to the kidneys. By checking these vessels, we can see if there is any blockage or narrowing and also measure the speed of the blood as it flows through these arteries.
- Do not eat or drink anything 12 hours before the test to minimize the amount of abdominal gas.
- You may take your medications the morning of the test with a small amount of water.
- Do not smoke or chew gum before the test.
- Do not drink caffeine, alcohol or carbonated beverages the day before the test.
- Do not eat or drink any dairy products the day before the test.
We will obtain a brief history emphasizing current symptoms and pertinent family history. You will lie flat on the bed with your head slightly elevated. The mid section of your abdomen will be exposed while the sonographer places a gel on your skin and glides a probe over your abdomen. Direct skin contact is essential.
The test takes 60 – 90 minutes. Results will be sent to your doctor.